- This event has passed.
National Youth Leadership Training Fall Course
September 13 - September 15$255
THIS IS A TWO WEEKEND COURSE. WEEKEND ONE IS AT CAMP WANOCKSETT.
WEEKEND TWO IS AT CAMP SPLIT ROCK. PARTICIPANTS MUST ATTEND BOTH WEEKENDS.
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what they must KNOW, and what they must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a team, outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster. NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- On February 1, 2019, Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops. For 2019 only, an exception will be granted for girls registered in Scouts BSA to attend NYLT without first achieving the First Class rank. Boys registered in Scouts BSA will still be required to earn the First Class rank before attending NYLT.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
This 2 weekend training course focuses on learning, sessions are conducted inside and outside, sleeping is “summer camp” style in camp tents and campsites, there is 1 night of patrol tent camping in the backwoods of Camp. Participants are expected to utilize their Scout skills they arrive with.
Program fee includes training materials, meals and NYLT gear.
EQUIPMENT TO BRING: List to be emailed after registration.
UNIFORM: Activity Uniform (Class B) during each day, Field Uniform (Class A) as specified, daily.
LOCATION: Weekend 1 – Camp Wanocksett / Weekend 2 – Camp Split Rock
Registration CONTACT: Chrissy Chamberland – firstname.lastname@example.org